Monday, February 7, 2011

What I've learned part1

It's been years since I used Betfair for the very first time. I started as a bonus hunter and via turnover and fulfilling the T&C with regular surebets I cumulated quite good capital. Later I didn't have any available bonuses so I started thinking how I could use my capital to earn something. I started doing surebets professionally, but it's not so easy as you probably think. The low bookmakers limit per stakes, the waiting for withdrawal and depositing into the next bookie and the low % of surebets, it all makes you bored and you end with low profit at the end.

Then I visited a website about horse trading on Betfair. I cant remember the name, but I think this was the first time I heard about it. There were some videos and articles and I started be very interested in it.
So I deposited 100€ and my stakes were 2€.

For first 5 months I used only 2€-10€ stakes. I traded almost every day and almost every day I was in loss! This time is very important because most of traders give up it after 4-6 months. Trading takes time. You must get the feeling, instinct, for almost every kind of race/move. If you trade one year or even more and almost every day you are in lost, I wouldn't recommend do it anymore. Look for another ways to make money. However, everyone is different, has unique way of thinking, analysing, summarizing...so its up to you. I wouldn't continue.

Luckily after 6 months I realised this has no meaning for me and I said: "I must change something." and I wrote down something like this:
I want to get a feeling for every market - it means that my entry points were in 3-2 minutes to go.
- never use double-click. - this is because I used small stakes and it is very stupid to end up with bigger loss than your stake is at the end of the day. But nowadays I regularly use double click with no problems, its is important in your learning process only.
- trade only races with max 4 most traded runners - the more horses and the more similar to each other they are the most difficult it is to scan all these horses and all the moves.
- consider opening position on another horse in order to balance the loss from another one.
- never rely on luck/never go in play - this is very important and so common problem. It took me months to understand it. (I've written about it an article Hope is your enemy, it still happens me from time to time.)

Most of these rules I don't use now, but they were useful in my learning process and I was able to move forward.
Okay, that's all for now I will continue in my next post.

7 comments:

  1. Hi mark,

    I'm also trading on the horses, I started learning the markets in January 2010, but I had to stop many times throughout the year due to the financial problems I'm facing. Only started trading for real and knowing what I'm doing on December 2010.

    I see lots of thoughts from you about the markets that are very similar to mine :) good to see someone that thinks like me making a very good profit already.

    Just out of curiosity, what bankroll do you use? 800€? 1500€?

    Would be nice if we could chat sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've been trading horses for 9 months and my current average profit is 20€ per day, not much but with time i hope to get more.

    Firstly, congratulations for your blog, profits and for being a full time trader :)

    I've read all your blog but i have a few questions for you.

    1 -Your current stake is 300€ right ?

    2- Are you a scalper or swinger ? or both?

    3- Which odds are you trading ? on favourites?
    (I trade on odds between 10 and 20)

    Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. João i suppose you are portuguese right ?

    What is your nick on metododinheiro ?

    Sorry Mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you my nick there for privacy reasons, my nick on the geek toy's forum is loktari.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. João - so you are trading seriously only from Dec, João. It is only 3 months, thats ok, wait for March and see how you improve in summer period. Yeah, we have similar thoughts because they are the right thoughts, my friend. My bank is about 3K€. If you want to chat with me, send me mail and I will send you my MSN details.

    Joseph - 20€/day is nice profit, Joseph. What stakes do you use? what about rise them? your question: 1. yes (pre-set stake), 2. I am keen on and always looking for swings, but I can adapt to scalping as well, 3. top 3/4 horses usually.

    John - check your email box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to anwswer, my current stake is 30€ but i've been giving shots with 40€ this week and the 20€ maybe rise to 30€, let's see if i can keep with this amount.

    ReplyDelete